Local Community Support
At Floating leaf, we’re always finding ways we can help improve the lives of our neighbors in Sukawati Village. It’s important to note that we first determine what the villagers want and need in order to make sure our contribution is accepted and appreciated.
- Education – Floating Leaf offers classes in yoga, English, sustainable agriculture, permaculture, and more to the friendly people of our village and all Balinese free of charge.
- Organic Farming Subsidies – We subsidize local farmers so they can grow organic, nutrient-rich food free of chemicals and pesticides.
- Sustainable Living Education – We provide learning opportunities both through educational programs and by demonstrating examples of sustainable living within our local community, Bali as a whole, and all those that come to our eco-retreat.
- Donation Programs – Floating Leaf Eco-Luxury Retreat regularly holds events in which we can provide tangible assistance for important community needs. Through our donation programs, we are helping people in need in our community and throughout many villages in Bali.
- Eco-Tourism – efforts are aimed at conserving precious natural resources and diverting waste from the already overflowing landfills.
The Greenest Village Project
We created this community outreach program in 2016 and it has become the most successful to date and has gone island-wide. Combatting the waste problem on any tropical island is challenging. Through educational programs, eco-fairs, and friendly competition we help villages understand the waste and recycling challenges they face and how to overcome them. The highlights of The Greenest Village Program include:
- Placing recycling and waste collection bins throughout the village.
- Providing sustainable and reliable waste management collection and recycling.
- Beach clean up days.
- Educational programs on green practices for all who want to attend.
- Cash rewards per kilogram of trash and recyclables collected to all villagers who participate.
- Implementation of the program to any village that would like to join the competition.
- Prizes and recognition for the winners.
Every decision from flooring materials to the items on our menu is carefully made to respect and preserve the way of life and traditions of local communities and to minimize our impact on the environment by adhering to a policy of environmental sustainability.
Our Eco Philosophy
In today’s environment, sustainability should be a crucial concern for all building projects. This is especially true in Bali. In creating the best yoga retreat in Bali, Floating Leaf has gathered a team of specialists to help make each decision more environmentally responsible, durable and safe. We have incorporated age-old Balinese wisdom; state of the art computer simulations, and just about everything in between to ensure our Bali eco-retreat is truly green and showcases environmentally accountable practices.
Our goal is to maintain the highest standards of excellence and seek to empower staff and guests alike to facilitate their full contribution to the environment and society in which they live and travel. To this end, we employ a proactive environmental policy, train our teams in ‘green’ thinking and encourage our guests to be as ‘green’ as possible.
For a modern travel accommodation, being a true eco-hotel involves much more than the obvious energy-saving measures, or have non-smoking rooms. Here’s a taste of how we provide genuine eco accommodations.
- Environmentally friendly towel and sheet re-use program.
- Volatile organic compound (VOC)-free cotton towels and sheets – for better air quality and to provide a luxury feel.
- Allergy awareness when choosing furnishings and cleaning materials.
- Rainwater harvesting system.
- Bulk dispensers for soap and other consumables – reduce wasteful packaging.
- Hotel recycling bins make recycling easy and convenient.
- Solar charging stations for electronics.
- Organic permaculture garden and compost systems.
Organic Garden-to-Table Farming
Floating Leaf’s Permaculture Garden makes every effort to protect the environment, give back to the community and grow the healthiest and nutrient-rich foods we can.
At a wellness retreat at Bali Floating Leaf, we pay attention to more than just the human and environmental connection. We hope to help you learn to self-regulate, observe, and interact with individuals you might not otherwise have the opportunity to get to know in your everyday life.
As part of our health & wellness retreats in Bali, we strive to offer the healthiest foods possible. We have dedicated a portion of our property to a permaculture garden. We grow strictly organic food for our guests and do so in an environmentally sound manner. We reuse greywater and make use of solar power, recycling, and more to ensure a low carbon footprint and high yields of nutritious foods. We offer permaculture gardening classes and guests can even pick the food for their meals.
Floating Leaf also subsidizes local farmers so they can retain traditional methods of agriculture and grow organic nutrient-rich foods. Many farmers in Bali have gone bankrupt or have had to sell their family farms while others who have survived have had to resort to chemical fertilizers, dangerous pesticides, and crops of nutrient-deficient fast-growing foods to compete with their changing environment. We subsidize the farmers in our community so they can get back to the traditional ways their ancestors had used for generations to produce true, healthy food in a way that does not harm the environment.
Eco Design and Construction
We have performed rigorous testing on-site including soil, water, wind, sun, energy conservation, and much more to ensure our buildings make the most environmentally sound use of our positioning, materials, and construction techniques. This testing helped us plan the structure to withstand earthquakes, make the most of the sun’s power, advance water-use strategies, and use the prevailing winds as an active source of natural ventilation.
We’ve tried to take this science a step further by incorporating living green walls and roofs into Floating Leaf. The plants and soil will not only shield the rooms from the Bali heat, but they will also capture and benefit from the rainfall and moisture, further saving on energy needs to cool the property.
Round structures use 15 to 30% less flooring, wall, and roofing materials even though they enclose the same square or rectangular space. Energy efficiency is also increased as improved airflow allows for less consumption to heat and cool circular dwellings. We have dramatically reduced our eco-footprint and created more usable living space simply by eliminating right angles. Passive cooling is also improved, as there is the less exterior surface area that comes in contact with the elements. This in turn increases the durability of the structure as well.
- The floors of the guestrooms and main lobby, as well as the countertops, are all recycled terrazzo.
- The wood used to install the air–conditioners, and toilet paper holders are 100% reclaimed teak wood.
- The floors in the bathrooms and in some hallways are recycled pebble wash.
- Bathroom sinks, shelves, walls, and even the bathtubs are all handmade from recycled materials.
- The more formal dining ware is crafted from locally occurring stoneware by Balinese craftspeople.
- Many of the colorful chairs, stools, cabinets, tables, and benches are made from old fishing boats that are no longer seaworthy. We have had them made into useful utilitarian objects and given them a new life.
- We are 100% self-sufficient with our water usage. Not a drop is taken away from the farmers and no dirty water is introduced into the environment. We make use of massive rainwater harvesting systems.
- Healing Pool: A natural saltwater process is used to run the pool and even the backwash, normally a massive source of unusable water, is naturally filtered so that it can be used to wash vehicles and the grounds. The water then is collected in massive ground tanks, filtered again, and used throughout Floating Leaf. Some water even helps local farmers irrigate their crops.
- Low flow sinks, showers, and special toilets are used to conserve water, yet maintain high water pressure.
- The massive beams holding up Floating Leaf’s namesake roof are made from ‘old coconut’. This means the tree has had a full and prosperous life and will no longer produce coconuts. Only then is the wood used so as not to deprive the Balinese of any food source.
- Water-efficient machines.
- Organic high-quality biodegradable bath products are provided for each guest in reusable ceramic containers.
- Only 100% organic, all-natural ingredients are used in the creams, tinctures, oils, and preparations for spa and massage treatments. Secret Royal recipes have been passed down for generations.
- Some of our cups and plates are actually grown from corn and other plants that are organically processed to act like strong plastic but are all-natural, biodegradable, and environmentally friendly.
Reduced Energy Usage
- Solar charging stations for laptops, smartphones, cameras, etc.
- Passive cooling ventilation systems – air-conditioning is not required in over 80% of the building
- Energy-efficient air conditioning
- Energy-efficient lighting, appliances, and electronics
Other Sustainability Practices
- The hangers and some door handles are made from bamboo.
- All leftover food, paper, and cardboard are composted for use in our organic gardens.
- One of the most sustainable products on the property is used for the floor and lights of The Sanctuary. It is called strand woven bamboo and takes one of the planet’s most sustainable natural products, bamboo, and compresses it into extremely dense planks that have properties similar to hardwoods and will last for many years.
- Bamboo is one of the most frequently used materials in Floating Leaf as it is recognized as one of the most sustainable products on the planet. The railings are 100% bamboo as are some of the furniture, the bridges, flooring, door handles, and even the drinking straws.
- Floating Leaf only uses paints that are eco-friendly.
- No plastic straws, only bamboo.